The Gardens at Kincardine Castle are several – The Walled Garden – The Woodland Garden – The Planetary Garden – The Enclosure – The Park.
- The Walled Garden: Formerly the old kitchen garden in which fruit and vegetables were grown to feed the household. As there were around 20 household staff and 6 gardeners a considerable quantity of food had to be grown irrespective of whether any guests were staying in the castle. The Walled Garden which dates from around 1830 has, since 1996, been turned into a Pleasance or Pleasure Garden.
- The Woodland Garden: Dating from around 1830, when it was referred to as A Shrubbery, this garden has been enhanced since 2007 and now contains over 100 varieties of rhododendron and many other plants.
- The Planetary Garden and Lawns: This small garden includes, to scale, the 7 mediaeval planets – Mercury, Mars, Venus, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter and Sun – after which the days of the week are named in many languages. You can find out more in the page dedicated to it.
- The Enclosure: Outside the Walled Garden this area includes a long shrub border against the garden wall and wild flower meadows.
- The Park: This 7 acre park contains a large terrace which was a cricket pitch in Victorian times. The terrace has been used occasionally for events and festivals. We have plans for a small arboretum.
Find Out More
Would you like to learn more about Kincardine Castle & Estate? Please get in touch with our friendly team for more information.
Some kind words from our previous guests…
Thank you for your hospitality and kindness. Hope to come back some day, with much love . . June 2018
R. Franco, Palm Beach, FL