Symbols on the Castle Walls
There are many symbols on the castle walls. If you are lucky enough to visit us sometime you can try and find them all – its’s a bit of a treasure hunt! Some of them are pictured below.
- The Sun, Moon and Stars.
- The initials of Mary Pickering, who caused this castle to be built.
- A Thistle, for Scotland – there are two of them, very different.
- A Sundial
- Does it tell the correct time? Is it adjusted for British Summer Time?
- Sine Sole Sileo – what does that mean?
- The initials of Mary Pickering’s two children
- Mary Ursula Umfreville Pickering and
- Francis Alexander Umfreville Pickering
- A Bear’s Clawed Foot with the intials FP
- Enigmatic symbols for Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter
- Non Crux, Sed Lux – The Motto of the Black Family Crest (Mary Pickering’s father was Alexander Black). Not the Cross, but the Light.
- A Fleur-de-lys – a symbol of the Holy Trinity.
- The name of the architects and, above it, a Mason’s Mark. NIVEN AND WIGGLESWORTH, ARCHITECTS, LONDON.
- Stone water-spouts shaped to look like cannon.
- Fier God, Honor the King (archaic spelling from 1 Peter 2, v17 which reads in full: Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.)
- Another date stone reading A1894D
- The foundation stone, which you can see being laid in the photo below, is very difficult to see today as there’s a Cydonia japonica growing in front of it. It reads simply MP with 1894 in the four corners.
- On various rain heads above the drain pipes are various symbols and dates.
Some of these symbols hint towards the Arts and Crafts Movement.
Find Out More
Would you like to learn more about Kincardine Castle & Estate? Please get in touch with our friendly team for more information.
Some kind words from our previous guests…
“Thank you so much for coming to the rescue and making Lulu and Doug’s wedding such a success. You have taken fantastic care of us and made the whole thing really memorable”. April 2016 (Their original venue was washed away by a flood).
Charlotte & Jacob Traff