Kincardine Estate by Andrew Bradford
Kincardine Estate was bought by my great-grandmother in the 1880s. Her family had previously been associated with the area for many centuries. Since then war ensured that the property travelled through the female line, hence my rather un-Scottish surname.
The estate covers just under 3,000 acres and, roughly speaking, the land cover is:
- Forest – commercial 1,500 acres
- Forest – amenity 200 acres
- Agriculture – tenanted 600 acres
- Agriculture – in-hand 400 acres
- Rough Ground, muir etc. 250 acres
- Buildings, roads etc. 50 acres
The land ranges from elevations of 290 – 850 feet above sea level on ground which was heavily swept by ice between 2,500 and 5,000 feet thick only 11,000 years ago. It is amazing how it recovers if you wait a while! The estate runs a number of enterprises briefly described below or follow the links to more information.
Activities which involve the Land
- Forestry: Mostly commercial conifers these take from 50+ to 100+ years to mature so we’re planting today for our grandchildren’s grandchildren.
- Agriculture: A mixture of in-hand and tenanted units.
- Fishing: Salmon fishing on the River Dee.
- Shooting/Hunting: Game bird shooting and clay/skeet shooting is carried out on the estate.
- Deer Stalking: We stalk to control populations of both Roe Deer and Red Deer.
- Garden Allotments: We rent allotments in Kincardine O’Neil.
- Access: Formal access for groups include Orienteering, Off-Road Driving, Trail Riding.
- Housing: We provide housing for over 60 households; most are let at affordable rent.
- Commercial Property: We provide shops, workshops, offices and stores.
- Minerals: A quarry produces over 100,000 tons per annum.
- Property Maintenance: Our team maintains the land and buildings on the estate as well as ensuring continued supplies of drinking water for houses and the myriad of other jobs that need doing on an estate.
- Hospitality: Kincardine Castle provides world-class hospitality for private and corporate groups as well as a venue for weddings.
- Food Production: Kincardine Kitchen makes Award Winning Marmalade, Jams and Chutneys and a wide variety of delicious home-baking including our addictive Cheese Crispies.
Kincardine Estate is a small but varied rural business employing over 30 people in full-time, part-time or casual work. Through it we try to support our local community. Our land is of high scenic and environmental value and parts of it, and many of the buildings and much of the land are recognised by national designation as being of special quality. I hope you agree that it is a glorious place which we adore and to which Nicky and I have dedicated our lives.
Find Out More
Would you like to learn more about Kincardine Castle & Estate? Please get in touch with our friendly team for more information.
Some kind words from our previous guests…
What a great introduction to Scotland. Nothing like having the Best first. June 2018
W. Blind, Palm Beach, FL